One of the most boring jobs in CRM 2011 deployment process is to import the data from old systems. I think the most complicated section is to import sales data. The import process is straight forward and you should follow some simple steps:
- Export data from the old systems. You should consider the required fields of the CRM 2011.
- The most required and manual part of this process is data cleaning. Although systems use various validations, but some kind of dirty and invalid data could be found everywhere.
- Prepare a map to import data. Here, you have to specify a corresondence between the exported data fields and system fields of each entity.
- Excell files (.csv) are the most desired format of the export and import types.
Following are the notes one has to consider importing sales data (Opportunities, Quotes, Orders …):
- First of all the head of the entities have to be imported.
- Products of each entity are the second step.
- If the products are not pre-defined, they should be imported as “write-in product”. This type has no units.
- The last step is to change the status of the imported objects. Workflows or dialoges could be used for this step.
- The objects should be imported by the order of the sales flow. For example, first the opportunities, then the quotes should be imported to avoid miss-linking.
- After the completeion of each import job, check the errors and partial failures to prevent reimporting.